Wednesday, June 1, 2022

Italy - Day 22: An unexpected peak, nice ridge walk and maybe end to my hike

I continued my trailess hike through the forest, until I was back on a dirt road and marked trail, which I followed for a while.

Since I wanted to walk along an open ridge, I had to ascend and there was a short cut on my map. So I took the path that seemed in a better state than some marked trails had been before. At some point I was wondering, if I shouldn't hit the road, that I was short cutting. Turned out, I was exactly at the elevation, but further West around the mountain. Contouring on the steep hill seemed more effort than walking over the peak. So I ended up with some additional elevation gain, walking up Monte Tranquilo. It was insanely windy and I was already worrying about my ridge walk...

I descended from the peak to a saddle, where a VERY pleasant and marked trail started. Although it was windy on the ridge, it was not too bad and since I was changing sides on the ridge, I was sometimes cold in the wind and sometimes nice warm, when wind protected. And then I made a stupid move with my right foot and my ankle hurt again. Something is still not right with that foot... but I was able to walk without painkiller and even relatively pain free on the road, so I decided to continue, as long as it doesn't get worse!!! I really want to finish at least the Abruzzo, but I guess I will need to find a doctor soon, who can really tell me what's wrong and what I should do to make it better in the long run.

At the Rifugio di Iori, I took the shortest way down to Pecasseroli, since I wanted to get some food before the stores would close at 1 pm for 3.5 h. I made it, but had to ask where the supermarket was, since there was no sign, just a carpet in front of the entrance, so you couldn't look inside. I filled up all my water bottles again and walked out of town.

Then I took a wrong trail. All trails are marked red and white and I hadn't looked on the map properly, and seen that there are two trails starting close by... So I ended up leaving that trail, walking a short bit steeply up on a path through some forest and then I hiked up a wide grassy valley - all this in perfect weather :) Finally, I was back on the right trail, which was a dirt road.

I followed a dry riverbed up to Rifugio Parato Rosso and ascended through some forest, where I saw the 3rd dayhiker today. At the treeline and before a steep ascend into the rocky mountains, I set up my tent. It was early and would have been great to walk a little around, but I was happy that my foot got some rest.

I just took off my shoes, and it seems like the hike is over for me. My ankle swoll to an egg anf it hurts pretty much... I guess I need to go back and find the cause!













No comments:

Post a Comment

Georgia - Part 8: Lagodekhi Nature Reserve - the end of hiking in Georgia

Georgia 05.-11.09.2022 From our last hike, which ended in Artana, we hitchhiked to Lagodekhi. It went incredibly smooth and took us 5 rides,...