Monday, May 30, 2022

Italy - Day 21: A cold but scenic morning

I did not sleeping well that night, with the wind shaking my tent. In the morning, I was relieved, when I saw that there was no fog and thus I started early.

It was sunny, but crazy windy and cold. I wished I would have gloves, but they were at the bottom of my backpack - it was the end of May in Southern Italy after all... while I was too warm the other days, I was too cold today!

The views and clouds were spectacular until I was standing in the fog again. But thanks to the wind, only for a short time. I had planned to hike up Monte La Meta and maybe continue on the ridge, but skipped it. Instead I descended into the Valle de Canneto, where I walked around a little lake and then followed the river upstream. I made a short stops at two cascades and had a long lunch break at ghe spring near Rifugio Acquanera, knowing this will probably be the last water for 1.5 days.

So I ascended again with lots of water, following markers through the beech forest up to the treeline. I had planned to walk the ridge up to Monte Panico, but although it was sunny when I ascended, it was windy up in the mountains and the ridge I wanted to follow disappeared in the clouds. So I descended earlier into Valle Inguagnera. After a short bit on the road I walked trailless into the forest, camping in the open beech forest, away from any trail or path.






See the crazy clouds!


The highest peak hiding in the clouds








The ridge is disappearing in the clouds







No comments:

Post a Comment

Georgia - Part 8: Lagodekhi Nature Reserve - the end of hiking in Georgia

Georgia 05.-11.09.2022 From our last hike, which ended in Artana, we hitchhiked to Lagodekhi. It went incredibly smooth and took us 5 rides,...