Sunday, May 29, 2022

Italy - Day 20: A short hiking day

Yesterday, the thunder and rain bypassed my campspot, but in the valley I could see the rain.

The new day started with some rain, so I slept in. When it stopped, I packed my things and just when I wanted to pack my tent, a light rain started. But since it didn't look too bad and I knew it's just over 2 peaks before there is some forest again, I hiked anyways.

I walked over Monte Ferruccia and Monte Mare and surprised some chamoises. The views were nice, but the sky looked dark again. When I came to the forest I was torn between setting up camp and hiking, but with the rain my decision was made: I set up my tent.

But not long after, there was blue sky and sun, and I was going back and forth again. Finally, the blue sky convinced me to at least try hiking.

I did not come far, before dark clouds were above me and clouds were blown on my route. So I set up a provisional camp on a meadow below Coste dell'Altare, thinking I would be able to continue in a few hours. It was just noon, so still a lot of hours for the weather to improve!

Although it did not rain, my route further up along the mountain chain disappeared in the clouds, so I decided to stay in my tent. But now it was getting really cold and windy. Since my tent pole broke once in the wind in the Grand Canyon, I am really worried about the stability of my tent and camping in the wind... and so I was lying there, thinking I should have selected a better camp spot, hoping the wind won't get stronger. But I have to admit, the view (whenever visible) is amazing ;)

I guess I don't have to mention that I ate faaar too much food and used up a lot of my battery power, while spending all day in the tent.







After the rain














Do you see my tent on the right side in front of the snow?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Georgia - Part 8: Lagodekhi Nature Reserve - the end of hiking in Georgia

Georgia 05.-11.09.2022 From our last hike, which ended in Artana, we hitchhiked to Lagodekhi. It went incredibly smooth and took us 5 rides,...