Saturday, May 28, 2022

Italy - Day 19: Roads and the Abruzzo National Park

It was so humid hot yesterday, that I opened up my tent in the evening, which was great because I was again able to see the gloworms flying around. But I am glad I put my rainfly on again, because there were a few raindrops at night.

The morning was nice cooling and due to the early hour on a Saturday, the road was not too husy. But it was a lot of road walk today...

In Colli a Volturni, where I stopped for water, it rained a little bit, but again hust a few drops and so the weather forecast, calling for some rain today, was wrong.

I took a REALLY long lunch break at a water source just after entering the Abruzzo National Park. My hip hurt like hell from the backpack, it was going to go up the usual 1000 m elevation and the sun was out again.

When I finally continued on the road, I hit a picnic spot with lots of people enjoying their weekend. But further on I just met 4 dayhikers, a couple and 2 of trailrunner.

It was a loooong ascend, but in return there were beautiful views from 1800 m high Monte Marrone. I did not want to continue, but walked a little around to a hut and got some water from a spring nearby, where horses were grazing. I surprised a fox, which was "flying" down the hill into the beech forest. 

Another really really early camp today. Feels a little bit like holidays ;) Let's see if I can hike tomorrow, or if the weather forecast is finally correct  predicting rain and thunderstorms. At least at the moment there is thunder, so let's see...


Walking towards those mountains



Up on the open meadows just below Monte Marrone

Those mountains are next tomorrow

A cute little hut which is well hidden


Clouds are forming - will it rain after all?



Great view on Lago di Castel San Vincenzo




No comments:

Post a Comment

Georgia - Part 8: Lagodekhi Nature Reserve - the end of hiking in Georgia

Georgia 05.-11.09.2022 From our last hike, which ended in Artana, we hitchhiked to Lagodekhi. It went incredibly smooth and took us 5 rides,...