Sunday, May 22, 2022

Italy - Day 13: Above the clouds on a ridge

This morning I had a big ascend, but on a really nice trail, cutting the switch backs of the road. It was kind of fun, because a guy was jogging up the road and we met nearly every time the trail crossed the road.

It was Sunday today, so I was not the only person walking up Monte Vergine to the monastery. But after tge monastery, I took some small paths and was alone, at least for a while...

After a short drop down, I followed a ridge nearly for the rest of the day. Very beautiful, mostly in cool beech forest with lots of Bärlauch. And I was above the clouds, which filled the valley below!

After Toppa Riviezzo, there was a huge tower, but more like a ruin. Because some people with bikes were up there, I joined them. Although I was a little afraid all the time, that the building might not be stable anymore.

I would have loved to sleep in the beautiful beech forest but dropped down, since I needed water , which was available at the picnic area. Hell it was busy!!! And (I was afraid so), although it was still the protected area of Oasi Montagna di Sopra, the beech forest was gone and I walked through chestnut plantations. I found a campsot in a jungle like plantation under a bush, where there were at least less blackberries.

I really enjoyed the day today, whi h is good. I guess tomorrow will be less interesting, with lots of road walk, one road being straight for something like 5 km...


Above Mercogliano

Above the clouds after the big ascend



Walking along the ridge with views inbetween


Great views from the Tower- I was afraid to step on the metal, although that was probably even saver then walking around on the roof...



Beautiful ridge-path through Bärlauch 

That's the ridge to come...


Looking back

The leaves were partly nearly knee deep!

Descending on the ridge into the clouds 



Jungle-camp



No comments:

Post a Comment

Georgia - Part 8: Lagodekhi Nature Reserve - the end of hiking in Georgia

Georgia 05.-11.09.2022 From our last hike, which ended in Artana, we hitchhiked to Lagodekhi. It went incredibly smooth and took us 5 rides,...