Friday, September 17, 2021

Day 120: A bad start to a beautiful day walking up Botev

Already at 7 am I was back on trail. Rain was forecasted for the afternoon and I wanted to do the ridge walk before the rain, including Botev, which is with 2376 m the highest peak of the Balkan and my route.

I was glad when I found water at the spot that was shown on my map, since I didn't had enough the day before. The trail continued through beautiful pine forest, before it came to Dobrila hut, which had some huge buildings. From there it went steeply up. Suddenly there were clouds coming in and I heard thunder. Shortly before reaching Levski peak (or Ambaritsa), it started to rain and went crazy windy. I was still in shorts, had put on my rain jacket but was cold. I couldn't believe my luck, when I saw a little colorful bivouac box. Oh joy!!!! I went in there, put on all my cloths and waited for the rain to pass, which was relatively quick. But now I was worried, if I could make it all the way over Botev... especially since the weather of the next day was supposed to be even worse!

But shortly after hiking again, the sun came out and I took off my rain gear. Btw, I managed to make holes in my new rainpants already, by slipping and falling :/

Next was a beautiful long but steep and rocky ridge, which had some wires as help. I was trying to rush through everything, being afraid it might rain, but still managed to take far too many pictures ;)

I contoured around some larger mountains and was only a short distance away from Botev peak, with its radio tower. But first there was a drop down, before making it up all the way. Was I relieved, when Inmadenitnand the sky was still fine.

I walked down, along some more smaller ridges and managed to get more water. Now dark clouds were hovering over Botev and me. I walked even quicker, since I wanted to make it down into the valley and a beech forest. Sadly, there are lots of buildings and roads, so I tried to find a hidden camp spot at the upper edge of the forest. Just in time, I had set up my tent on a tiny "flatish" spot in the forest.

Another beautiful day, with lots of pictures! And if it rains tomorrow, I still have enough food to stay in my tent :)

Finally water!!!

What an ugly start for a ridge walk...

Colorful bivacou box



Up rocky faces- thanks to some steel cables no problem







Very autumn like with the red blueberries plants!



Botev (2376 m)


Botev peak with its radio tower



campspot in the beech forest - too small and slanted but hopefully dry!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Georgia - Part 8: Lagodekhi Nature Reserve - the end of hiking in Georgia

Georgia 05.-11.09.2022 From our last hike, which ended in Artana, we hitchhiked to Lagodekhi. It went incredibly smooth and took us 5 rides,...